Wednesday, January 25, 2012

28 weeks

And this is taking forever! I'm getting very impatient to meet the little miss. Besides the fact that I'm getting huge and I can't say "Nothing fits right anymore" and I have to say "Nothing fits anymore," I just want to meet her! My curiosity is killing me! 

I do know she is VERY particular about her space. If I have anything on my belly, she will kick at it until I move it. For example, when I rest my arms on the top of my belly, she kicks at them until I move them off. When I'm laying flat and have my phone sitting up there ("up there" because I'm so convex these days) she practically kicks it right off. If I'm laying on my side and I'm putting the slightest pressure on the bump, she'll kick and squirm until I adjust. Confession: sometimes, when she's having a lazy day and I don't feel her move as much, I'll do things like that just to bug her, and feel her move. And last night she kicked Mitch in the face, when he was laying his head down and talking to her. I've never done this before, so maybe all babies are like that in the womb, but I like to think it's her personality :) So don't burst my bubble if I'm wrong.

I have braxton hicks contractions every freaking day. I feel like those could've waited til I was a little closer to the end, they're significantly uncomfortable. I didn't know what they were for the longest time and I just thought she was pushing up REALLY hard against my belly and I kept telling her "stop doing that!" 
Turns out it's not her at all :) Sorry baby.

We went and registered the other week and I left so incredibly stressed I told everybody I know never to do it. Ever. Baby's need SO MANY THINGS. And they all cost more money than you have. Or maybe the stores just make you think you need all this stuff. But how am I to know? I didn't even know what half the stuff was that was on that stupid "register for this" list. That's how they make all their money. On new moms like myself. The worst would be working my butt off to get all these things and then not even needing or using them. This is where you experienced mothers come in, advise me!! I got the d-low on bottle warmers and wipe warmers and changing tables..unnecessary. But there's got to be more "un-necessities" than that.

Moving on to happier times...We have her crib and it's so cute! I've been crafting galore, pretty much everything on my pinterest page I've made for her nursery already. I do a craft every day that I have off of work. The big things we have left are to repaint the dresser and get a rocking chair. We have a goal date in mind to be completely done, so hopefully by the end of February I can post pictures of it all!

On Tuesday I had an appointment and my midwife made me feel super good about myself. My belly was about to be measured and we were going to hear the heartbeat again, and right when I lifted my shirt she says, "Oh my gosh! You have the cutest belly in the entire world! It's adorable! But you are required to lie about that, when other pregnant ladies are talking about their stretch marks and such, be sure to pretend you do too. Just go along with it." And she probably says that to everybody, but man the little things make you feel so good when you're feeling not so hot with all the extra weight you've got going on.

Anyway, here's the bump at 7 months. (Is it 7 months? I don't even know. If I say 7 months people think I only have 2 months to go, but I really have slightly less than 3. You are technically pregnant for 10 months. I'll never understand where the 9 month thing came from.) So...
here's to 28 weeks.

5 comments:

  1. You look so cute! I wish we were still there to see all your preparations. I'm sure the nursery is going to look awesome! My favorite baby items were my boppy pillow (they're kind of expensive so I made one myself - super easy and cheap with a pattern I found online. Let me know if you want the link!) and the swing, a definite backsaver. And I totally agree with you about being impatient. I'm only 19 weeks and so ready to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Ryan and I first registered for our son we thought we needed everything also (or at least I did) but in all reality you just need the basics. I don't know if you are planning on breastfeeding but if you are the things that made my life easier were the "boppy pillow" so you didn't always have to strain your arms by holding the baby while they fed. And the second thing was a nursing cover. It made it so much more comfortable to "feed-on-the-go" without feeling like everyone was staring at you. Also in my opinion, skip the stroller/car seat combo. I definitely used the car seat (obviously) but the big "industrial" stroller only was used a few times at the most when he was younger. But when they reach the 3-4 month age an umbrella stroller and your diaper bag is all you need. Now that I think about it, for the first few months I carried his diaper bag with us EVERYWHERE loaded with everything you could possibly think of but after a while you realize most of that stuff you don't need to lug around because it will never get used when you're out and about. Just pack the necessities (diapers, wipes, burp cloth, formula & bottle if not nursing, a few hand held toys and a light change of clothes just in case of an accident, hand sanitizer, and a light blanket). As they get older you'll find that you need to bring even less than that and can probably fit this stuff into your purse (if you're like me and have a "suitcase" purse as my husband would say)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could have a first baby all over again, here are the things I would do differently:

    1. I wouldn't get a travel system (single stroller that connects to the car seat). I would get the car seat, then buy a cheap used stroller because the single stroller becomes useless when you have two kids (unless they're going to be more than three years apart). And if you want to be able to snap the car seat in to a stroller, the snap and go strollers are pretty cheap (especially used).

    2. Go used. I thought everything should be new but I quickly found I could find brand spanking new equipment for a fraction of the price. (I mean swing, bouncy chair, stroller...I would go for a new car seat since you never know if they've been in an accident)

    3. Breast pump and boppy was a must. The hand pumps work just fine if you can't afford the electric ones.

    And everyone's advice will be a little different, so just take it for what it's worth and figure out what works for you! It's overwhelming, but you will quickly start to figure out what you want or need when the baby comes. So don't feel like you need everything all at once. Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh Mallory who told you that you don't need a changing table? They are NOT your friend. Kidding! But seriously-I have never changed Aubrey anywhere BUT our changing table. (while at home) I don't know how many accidents Aubrey had on that thing & I'm so glad it was on the changing table instead of the couch, carpet, lap, etc.!! It's just so convenient with the diapers & wipes right underneath. Just my little two cents! :) I'm sure there are plenty of people that think changing tables are unnecessary, but I loved mine! Congrats, your belly is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments!! So helpful!
    @ Nicole and Kaylene, I've heard to nix the travel system from so many people! It's so nice to know one of the most expensive things we can do without!

    @ Lisa..I plan on having a place to change her with a changing pad/etc. but I don't think I'm going to buy a new piece of furniture just for that. We have a really long dresser I'll makeshift into a changing station!! :)

    Yay for moms who know what they're doing!

    ReplyDelete