Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Eve's Birth Story

I was 36 weeks when I had one last ultrasound. I asked if they could tell how big little Eve was and they said "Oh, about 7.2 pounds"

uhm.. WHOA! She's already bigger than Tessa was and I still had 4 weeks!

I kept telling Mitch it felt like I was carrying around a bowling ball in my gut. Seriously she was SO heavy, and my belly was HUGE, much bigger than the first time around.

It was at that same appointment they said I was dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced. No one thought I would make it to my due date. Flash forward 4 weeks where I got progressively more dilated and more effaced with each week until 2 days before my due date I was dilated to a FIVE and effaced 90 PERCENT.

Where in the heck was this baby?!

My OB was incredible and said she would induce me on Monday (just one day past my due date) if I wanted. I was SOO close, and I had soo many contractions that weren't progressing that I figured inducing me would not be a big deal. And by inducing I mean they just broke my water. No drugs needed.

Anyway, Monday morning comes along, I call in at 5:30am on the dot. They tell me to be there between 7 and 7:30 am. I walk in at 7:30 on the dot. They get me all situated in a room and broke my water at 9:30 am. Then we just hung out. As with Tessa, it was just Mitch and I and my doctor and the nurses in the delivery room. We love having that time and moment just to ourselves. Immediately the contractions started. My nurse asked how bad they were and I told her they weren't too bad since I wasn't in tears yet and she said "Well, we don't need to wait until you start crying." That was some music to my ears and once I had a couple intense ones I got that epidural right quick. With my first epidural I couldn't feel a thing. They had to tell me when I was having a big one and when to push because I couldn't tell AT ALL. This time around I could still feel the big ones but they weren't bad. And I could tell when I needed to push and all that jazz.

My doctor said earlier that morning she planned on getting this baby out by lunch, and she was right so at 1:15 it was time to push and 15 minutes later, walah! Out came my HUGE SQUISHY ROLLY baby! My doc said "Well, Mallory you successfully gave birth to a 2 month old!" Everyone in there was kind of freaking out with how big she was (in a good way, they were loving the rolls and also pretty shocked) and wanted to get her weighed so they could see what she was at. Officially she was 8 pounds, 15 ounces and 20.5 inches long and definitely NOT as loud as Tessa was. Her cry sounded cute!

Unfortunately, I tore again, but just a little bit compared to last time. She breastfed successfully and the rest of the 2 days at the hospital were pretty laid back.

My sister made a big sister bag for Tessa that we gave to her when she came to see baby Eve. It had a big sister shirt, a big sister book, a pack of dinosaurs and a dinosaur activity book and crayons that Tessa all went nuts over. She was totally in heaven. I made sure that neither Mitch or I were holding Eve when Tessa first came in. I wanted to have some time with her before we made it all about the baby. But Tessa had other plans, she didn't want to see me and kept asking to see baby sister. She didn't want to hold her, but she was definitely curious. Then we gave her the gift and played with her new toys for a while. By the time she was going to leave she asked to hold Eve and was so sweet to her. She gave her kisses and kept saying "It's ok baby. It's ok. Shhh Shhh." Tessa has a baby doll at home she takes care of all the time and whenever we ask her what her baby's name is she says "sister." Melt my heart. She is SUCH a good big sister.







I just have to say I absolutely LOVED delivering at Sutter Roseville and the nurses I had there, I absolutely LOVE my doctor and LOVE the girls pediatrician. So if you need a recommendation, I will gladly give out names.

Flash forward 3 weeks: The first 2 weeks of life Eve was seriously perfect. She ate and slept and pooped. And only cried when she was hungry. Starting the third week she got really fussy and had a lot of gas, where I deduced she had a hard time when I drank cows milk. So I gave up all obvious dairy and she's back to being a dream...mostly. She really only gets cranky when she wants to sleep and when she wants to eat. Gripe water also helps a TON when she gets gassy. All in all the transition from one baby to two has been crazy, and hard at times, but Eve being an easier baby and living by all this family has made it so much easier.

I feel like Eve brings a whole new dynamic to our family, with how calm she is. She fits in perfectly and we feel so blessed to have another happy healthy little girl!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you Mal and Mitch. I can't wait to get our families together again. We Love you.

    ReplyDelete